When I moved to Thunderbird, I simply wrote a small shell script to concatenate
a signature prefix file with a random fortune; I then told cron(8) to run
that shell script once a minute, to create a new
.signature file. I pointed
Thunderbird at that generated
But, as it turns out, you can’t point Mail.app at an external
file, so the Thunderbird solution won’t work.
The answer is to write a small bit of AppleScript (one of the stranger programming languages I’ve ever used). The AppleScript script:
- Uses the same signature prefix file that the Thunderbird shell script uses.
- Concatenates the contents of that prefix file with the output from my
- Tells Mail.app to replace the named signature. (I have more than one signature, and I only want to append a random fortune to one of them.)
Here’s the AppleScript code:
The final piece of the puzzle is another cron(8) entry, in my personal
* * * * * osascript $HOME/AppleScripts/fortune-sig.scpt
Conceptually, this solution is the same as the one for Thunderbird; it’s just a different implementation.